Easy AIP Paleo Thanksgiving Turkey
Posted on November 17 2020
Easy AIP Paleo Thanksgiving Turkey (No baste)
Our Executive Chef put together an incredibly tasty, yet easy recipe that everyone will enjoy, especially people that are following the AIP!
Note: This Turkey is prepared to be a "No Baste" cooking technique. By browning it first, it allows its own juices to create a moist turkey.
- 1 large carrot
- 2 large onions
- 2 stalks of celery
- 3 bay leaves
- 12 garlic cloves
- 3 sprigs of sage
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 3 sprigs of rosemary
- 4 sprigs of parsley
- 4 T of sea salt
- 1 orange - quartered
- 4 T of bacon fat
Butchers twine, 4-inch baking pan, parchment paper, and thick foil.
- Clean the turkey cavity and salt the inside of the cavity. Reserve 1 T of salt for the skin.
- Rough chop the vegetables and herbs except for 1 onion and place in a medium mixing bowl and mix together well.
- Stuff the turkey with the mixture along with the bay leaves and orange quarters.
- Start from the front of the turkey by putting the butchers twine under the turkey leaving an even amount of twine on each side.
- Holding each end of twine, loop the twine around the wings then bring it to the back and wrap around the legs ends.
- Tie it tight so the wings and legs are in place and not loose.
- Slice onion into thick slices and place on the bottom of the baking pan.
- Place the turkey on top of onion slices.
- Divide the bacon fat into both hands and rub evenly on the turkey. Be sure to cover every area.
- In a preheated oven of 450 degrees F, put turkey in for 20 minutes or longer, turning the pan to brown all sides.
- When turkey is browned on all sides, pull out of the oven and cover with parchment paper, then foil. Make sure it is tightly covered.
- Turn the oven down to 350 degrees F. Cook turkey according to weight. (Roughly 13 minutes a pound.)
- After the turkey has reached the time allowed for cooking, temp the thigh without hitting the bone. You should take the turkey out of the oven at 160 degrees F and let it rest. The temperature will continue going up to reach 165degrees F. turkey on a serving platter. Cut and remove string.