Steak Fajitas AIP
Posted on May 01 2018
I grew up in Southern California, so Mexican cuisine was a staple in our house. I am always curious how our chef comes up with spice combinations to mimic those familiar flavors for the Autoimmune Protocol. Typically, fajitas would be served with seasoned onions, tomato and bell pepper along with the meat and corn or flower tortillas. Right there, 3/4 of the meal is gone if you are on the AIP.
Our chef went to work in the POTG Test Kitchen and came up with this AIP Beef Fajita recipe; replacing the peppers and tomato with zucchini and sweet potato. Yes, it is hard to replace such strong flavors that are associated with Mexican food for the AIP, but our chef rose to the challenge. Check out the recipe below.
AIP STEAK FAJITAS
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic , crushed
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound skirt or flank steak
- 1 green zucchini, cut into strips
- 1 yellow squash, cut into strips
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 8 POTG tortillas
- Extra cilantro leaves to garnish
- Coconut cream (optional) to serve
- Whisk marinade ingredients together to combine.
- Pour out half of the marinade into a shallow dish to marinade the steak for an hour at room temperature.
- Refrigerate the rest of the marinade to use later.
- Heat about one teaspoon of oil in a grill pan or heavy skillet over medium-high heat and grill steak on each side until desired doneness (about 4 minutes each side for medium-rare, depending on thickness).
- Set aside and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Peel and cut sweet potato into sticks. Toss with olive oil and spread out on tray, roast at 400 for 15 minutes until tender.
- Drizzle with another teaspoon of oil and fry zucchini and onion strips.
- Add in half of the reserved marinade, salt and continue frying until cooked to your liking.
- Slice steak against the grain into thin strips.
- Serve with warmed tortillas, extra cilantro leaves, coconut cream, sliced avocado (or your desired fillings), and drizzle over the remaining reserved marinade.
Steak Fajitas AIP - POTG Test Kitchen