AIP/Paleo Chicken Pozole Verde
Posted on April 28 2018
A traditional Pozole Verde is a no no on the Autoimmune Protocol, full of ingredients that you can't have. But Chef Ann doesn't let that stop her from creating an AIP version in the POTG Test Kitchen. She has outdone herself here with this recipe, just in time for Cinco de Mayo! You would swear that it was made with tomatillo's and peppers (it has a little kick from the horseradish) but it is completely AIP. Chef Ann also uses chopped cauliflower to replace the hominy normally found in pozole. Absolutely delicious, you should definitely make this at home!
AIP PALEO CHICKEN POZOLE VERDE
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 4 chicken breast halves on the bone
- 1 pound kiwi fruit
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 2 T. grated fresh horseradish
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon oregano leaves
- Sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 head cauliflower chopped into pea sized bits
- Finely shredded iceberg lettuce, sliced radishes, chopped onion, diced avocado, coconut cream, and lime wedges
- In a large heavy bottomed pan, bring the chicken stock to a boil.
- Add the chicken breasts, skin side down, cover and simmer over very low heat until they're tender and cooked through, about 25 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken breasts to a plate and shred the meat.
- In a food processor, combine the peeled kiwi with the quartered onion, lime juice, minced garlic, horseradish chopped cilantro and oregano. Pulse until coarsely chopped, scraping down the side. With the machine on, add 1 cup of the cooking liquid and puree until smooth. Season the verde puree with salt.
- In a large deep skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the verde puree and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- Pour the green sauce into the cooking liquid in the casserole. Add the cauliflower and bring to a simmer over moderate heat.
- Add the shredded chicken to the stew, season with salt and cook just until heated through.
- Serve the pozole in deep bowls, with the lettuce, radishes, onion, avocado, coconut cream, and lime wedges at the table.
finely shredded iceberg lettuce, sliced radishes, chopped onion, diced avocado, coconut cream, and lime wedges when serving.