AIP Mexican Hot "Chocolate"
Posted on April 25 2018
Maybe it isn't the right time of year for a hot chocolate recipe, but in the spirit of Cinco de Mayo we are offering an AIP carob version. You might look at the ingredients and think, butternut squash?! Yes, there is indeed butternut squash in this recipe. It is actually the sweetener. It also thickens the drink, making it rich and delicious.
Here's a tip for you, freeze some into popsicles to enjoy this summer. The kids will love them and they will secretly be eating vegetables!
MEXICAN HOT "CHOCOLATE" AIP
- 1 cup cooked butternut squash pulp, cooked
- 3 ½ cups coconut milk
- 4 T. carob powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground mace
- In a blender or food processor, puree the squash with 2 cups of the coconut milk until perfectly smooth.
- In a large saucepan, mix the remaining 1 ½ cups of coconut milk, carob powder, and spices. With a whisk, stir over low heat until the carob is incorporated, then add the squash mixture.
- Do not boil.
- Strain through a coarse sieve to remove any trace of the squash fiber.
- Reheat gently in a heavy saucepan.
By Executive Chef Ann Lotterhos