AIP Chicken Scallopini with Lemon Garlic Cream Sauce
Posted on August 09 2018
Here is another simple, yet delicious recipe from the POTG Test Kitchen. The chicken gets a nice crisp to it and the sauce is delicious, perfect for some cauliflower rice or mashed sweet potatoes. It's comfort food Italian style!
CHICKEN SCALLOPINI WITH LEMON GARLIC CREAM SAUCE
FOR THE CHICKEN
- 2 chicken breasts split and pounded to even thickness
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Juice of half a lemon
- 4 tablespoons tapioca flour
FOR THE SAUCE
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1¼ cup chicken stock
- 2/3 cup coconut cream
- 1 Tablespoon arrowroot mixed with 1 tablespoon of water
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Lemon slices or wedges , to serve
- Season chicken with garlic powder and salt.
- Squeeze the lemon juice of half a lemon over each fillet, rubbing it into each fillet.
- Add the flour to a shallow bowl and dredge each breast in the flour; shake off excess and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or non stick pan over medium-high heat until pan is hot. Fry the chicken until golden on each side, cooked through and no longer pink (about 4-5 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of your chicken).
- Transfer onto a warm plate.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and fry until onion is translucent (about 3 minutes). Reduce heat to low-medium heat, add the stock.
- Season with salt and continue to cook to reduce down slightly (about 6 minutes).
- Add in the coconut cream and bring the sauce to a gentle simmer for about 5 minutes until it begins to thicken.
- If the sauce isn’t thick enough, add the arrowroot mixture into the sauce to thicken it.
- Pour in the lemon juice, allow to simmer gently for a further minute to combine.
- Stir in the Italian herbs.
- Add the chicken back into the pan, cover with the sauce and serve over cauliflower rice, steamed vegetables or zucchini noodles.
- Garnish with lemon slices or wedges and parsley.
By Executive Chef Ann Lotterhos