Posted on November 18 2016
Make a Creole inspired Turkey Gumbo dish using your leftover turkeyThe base of this gumbo is our chicken bone broth. So right off the bat it has a rich full bodied flavor. Using Otto's Cassava Flour to make the roux makes this gumbo gluten free and Paleo. This is an authentic dish with the vegetables and spicy sausage. Very tasty! You should try it at home.
- 1 lb shredded leftover turkey meat
- 6 cups chicken or turkey broth
- 1 cup avocado or olive oil
- 1 cup cassava flour
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 lb Pederson’s kielbasa sliced ¼” thick
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Make the roux;
- In a large sauce pan, over medium heat, combine the oil and flour.
- Cook, stirring constantly until dark brown (chocolate colored) for 20-30 minutes.
- Add all the chopped veggies to the roux, along with the chopped sausage.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are very soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the salt and cayenne pepper.
- Add the broth, combining well.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for a half hour.
- Add the turkey and sliced sausage to the gumbo.
- Cook 15 minutes more.
- Remove from heat, let sit for 5 minutes, then skim any fat that has risen to the surface.
- Stir in green onions and parsley.