Paleo AIP Spinach and Mushroom Pizza with Pesto Sauce
Posted on March 09 2017
I don't think I have ever come across someone who doesn't like pizza. But for people following a Paleo diet traditional pizza crust is a no no. As a result, most "paleos" adapt to this and go without pizza or use mushrooms, cauliflower or almond flour for the crust.
Using Root Vegetables for the AIP Pizza CrustOur chef has come up with this recipe for paleo/AIP pizza crust using the carbohydrate rich Yucca root. Yucca has been used for centuries by the indigenous people of the Americas as a carbohydrate rich source of vitamins and nutrients. It grows in arid climates like the desert Southwest of the United States. Be sure to roll the dough out as thin as you can get it, then be sure to bake long enough that it gets crispy but doesn't burn. Great for game night pizza!
AIP Spinach and Mushroom Yucca Pizza with Pesto SauceThis recipe is pretty simple to make. Just be sure to peel, cook and chill your yucca in advance. Once the yucca has chilled it's ready to be used right away.
AIP SPINACH AND MUSHROOM YUCCA PIZZA WITH PESTO SAUCE
- 1 cup yucca root, which has been peeled, chopped, boiled until tender and refrigerated
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ t. sea salt
- 1 ½ T. coconut flour
- ½ t. baking soda
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 1 t. dry oregano
- 1 cup Basil
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 2 T. minced garlic
- 1 t. salt
- 2 cups fresh spinach, sautéed with a little garlic in olive oil
- 1 cup sliced Shitake Mushrooms, sautéed with a little garlic in olive oil
- 3 Tblsp chopped cooked bacon
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
FOR THE CRUST
- In a food processor place the 1 cup of cold cooked yucca and the other crust ingredients and process until a wet dough forms.
- Form it into a neat round ball and place on the center of a parchment lined sheet tray.
- Lay another sheet of parchment over the top and smooth the dough down in circles until it is very thin, almost translucent.
- Peel off the top parchment and bake 15-20 minutes until golden brown
FOR THE PESTO
- Put all items in a small saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes until thickened.
- Puree with immersion blender.
- Spread pesto over the surface of the crust
- Sprinkle toppings evenly over
- Put back in oven for 5 to 10 minutes to heat through.