Recipe Contest Entry: Pumpkin Beef Stew
Posted on October 08 2014
Pumpkin Beef StewThis entry is brought to us by Christina Lianos, of Healthilinguist. Christina co-authored The Paleo Miracle Book: 50 Real Stories of Health Transformation. Christina has a unique approach to food and develops some of the most amazing recipes. Check her out here. In true fashion, this pumpkin beef stew is ahhh-mazing.
RECIPE CONTEST ENTRY: PUMPKIN BEEF STEW
Sugar pumpkins are used as a bowl for our hearty and tasty pumpkin beef stew, that is infused with the flavors of onions, carrots, garlic and peppers.
- 4 small sugar pumpkins or 2 cups pumpkin puree*
- 2 pounds beef (chuck, London broil, round) cut into small cubes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive or coconut oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 potato or sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 large handful of kale or spinach, washed, stemmed & shredded
- 1 dried chipotle pepper, soaked and chopped
- 3 cups BPA, additive & citric acid free crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups beef broth/stock
- 1 large handful of cilantro, washed & chopped
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed, crushed
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed, crushed
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- Raw milk or grass fed/raw milk cheddar, sliced or shredded
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Slice the caps off of the sugar pumpkins and scoop out the seeds (reserve for another use). Place the pumpkins cut side down alongside the caps in a large baking pan filled 1 inch with water. Roast for 1 hour, checking after 30 minutes and adding a little more water if needed.
- Heat olive or coconut oil in large pot and sauté onion on low heat for 10 minutes until caramelized. Add the garlic and continue sautéing for another 5 minutes. Add the beef cubes and brown until almost cooked through, about 10 minutes. Add the peppers, mushrooms, carrots, potatoes, kale/spinach and cook 5 minutes until slightly soft.
- Add the chopped chipotle, crushed tomatoes and stock, coriander seed, cumin seed, smoked paprika, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Remove the pumpkin from the oven and scoop out the flesh. Reserve half (freeze for another use) and add the remaining pumpkin (approximately 2 cups) to the stew. Mix well and simmer over medium-low heat for 30 minutes to an hour (or longer), stirring occasionally.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and bay leaves. Serve in the hollowed out pumpkins with shredded grass-fed / raw milk cheddar.
*If you want to skip the stew in a pumpkin presentation, substitute 2 cups pure pumpkin puree.
By Christina Lianos, of Healthilinguis