Paleo Baked Cheese Crackers (Paleo "Cheese Its")
Posted on July 14 2016
Paleo Baked Cheese Crackers Have ArrivedIf you haven't always lived the real food or paleo lifestyle (or ever fall of the bandwagon sometimes), chances are you like Cheez-Its. Well, at least from a nostalgic, taste perspective. They're the addictively crunchy, salty, and cheesy.
It's not real food.They're also full of preservatives and artificial dyes, not to mention the dairy and wheat.
Could real, paleo ingredients achieve the same flavor?
Ultimately we found out that we could make our version taste essentially the same with ingredients like Cassava flour and nutritional yeast! No, really. (We couldn't believe it either) They have that same feel in the mouth as the real thing, you would swear there is cheese inside.
PALEO BAKED CHEESE CRACKERS (OUR VERSION OF CHEEZ-ITS)
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- ½ cup Otto’s cassava flour
- 4 T. OMGhee
- 3 T. nutritional yeast powder
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. dry mustard
- ¼ tsp. turmeric
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- 2 T. water, plus more if needed
- Process everything except water in food processor until crumbly, add water until a dough forms.
- Shape dough into a disk, wrap in plastic and put in refrigerator for a half hour.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Remove dough and roll out dough with a rolling pin directly onto a piece of parchment paper until 1/8” thick.
- Use pastry or pizza cutter to cut dough into little squares. Leave them on the paper, don’t move them around. They will come apart when finished baking.
- Poke a tiny hole in the center of each square.
- Put parchment onto a baking tray and bake cheez-its 12-15 minutes until golden brown.