Paleo Grain Free Apple Cranberry Pie
Posted on November 01 2016
Fall is in the air and now is the perfect time for Paleo Grain-Free Apple Cranberry Pie.
The smell of fresh apples and cinnamon, tangy cranberries and delicious crust baking in the oven brings back memories of childhood and my moms holiday baking. Our executive chef came up with this Grain Free Apple Cranberry Pie recipe that's Paleo and AIP! Otto's Cassava Flour is the key to making this gluten and grain-free pie crust super flakey.
Be sure to give this recipe a try. What kind of Paleo/AIP pie would you make using this pie crust recipe?
GRAIN FREE APPLE CRANBERRY PIE
PIE CRUST DOUGH
- 2 ½ cups cassava flour
- ¾ cup ghee, pork fat or coconut oil
- ½ cup water
- 6 apples, peeled cored and chopped
- ½ cup fresh or frozen whole cranberries
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup arrowroot powder
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
PIE CRUST DOUGH
- Mix all ingredients together to make a soft rollable pie dough.
- Add more water if needed.
- On a floured board, roll out half the dough into a circle. Carefully lift the dough and place it into an 8” pie tin, pressing it into place if it rips.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Fill pie shell with fruit filling and roll out another dough circle on your floured board. Carefully lift this circle and place it on top of the fruit filled pie shell. Cut away excess overhanging dough and crimp edges with the tines of a fork to seal. Cut a few vent holes into the top of the pie. Place on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes until fruit juices are bubbling out of the vent holes.
- Cool on a rack before slicing.
- To make this recipe AIP, choose either pork fat or coconut oil instead of the ghee and substitute mace for the nutmeg.