AIP Oktoberfest - German Apple Cake
Posted on August 23 2018
Ok, so what's a nice dinner without dessert? An Oktoberfest inspired AIP meal is no different. Just need to make some tweaks here and there. Chef Ann created this recipe in the POTG Test Kitchen. It is really good, but do yourself a favor, make a batch of our Vanilla Ice Cream to top the cake off. Then it is perfect! But you don't need it, the cake is delicious on its own.
AIP GERMAN APPLE CAKE
- 3 large apples
- ½ cup honey
- ¾ cup arrowroot starch
- 10 tablespoons coconut flour
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup full-fat coconut milk
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ⅛ cup honey
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9'' round cake pan with coconut oil.
- Cut a piece of parchment to fit on bottom of cake pan and grease parchment, as well.
- Peel, core, and slice 2 of the apples.
- Peel, core, and dice remaining apple and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the 2 sliced apples with ½ cup honey and pinch of cinnamon for 5 minutes. Pour apple slices into parchment-lined cake pan and spread out to cover bottom of pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, whisk together wet ingredients.
- Combine wet into dry ingredients.
- Fold diced apples into cake batter.
- Spread batter into cake pan and smooth out evenly. (Batter will be thick.)
- Bake for 35 minutes on center rack, or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 15 minutes, then invert cake onto a large plate or cake stand.