Instant Pot AIP Spiced Breakfast Porridge
Posted on February 20 2018
According to Wikipedia a porridge is a "food made by boiling ground, crushed or chopped starchy plants—typically grain—in water or milk." For our porridge, we are using the Instant Pot to steam the apples and Butternut Squash. Our Spiced Breakfast Porridge is absolutely delicious. I will admit I was a little skeptical when I saw the recipe, but WOW! I could eat this for breakfast anytime. The Instant Pot had the butternut squash ready in no time. You can whip up this hearty, wholesome and tasty AIP breakfast fresh for the family in about 30 minutes. You know what's really cool? Your kids wont know they are eating vegetables!
AIP SPICED BREAKFAST PORRIDGE
- 4 small or 2 large apples peeled, cut into chunks
- 1 butternut squash washed and whole
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons gelatin
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon each: cloves and ginger
- pinch sea salt
- Place whole, uncut butternut squash into insert pot. Add apple chunks. Add water and spices. Close Instant Pot lid and close steam valve. Choose Manual setting and 8 minutes.
- When timer goes off, allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes; then press Cancel, place a dish towel over steam valve and open it to release any remaining pressure. Remove lid and insert, so the pot's contents begin to cool.
- When cool enough to handle, place butternut on a cutting board. Cut in half length-wise and remove seeds with spoon. Place squash halves and pot's contents (apples, water and spices) into blender or processor.
- Add remaining ingredients: gelatin, maple syrup and sea salt. Blend for about 30 seconds, until smooth. Serve with optional toppings: raisins, toasted coconut.