AIP Braised Fennel
Posted on August 09 2018
I will admit to never having tasted Fennel in the past. It just didn't sound appetizing. I had always found the thought of a slightly licorice flavored vegetable un-appealing. So you can imagine that I was pleasantly surprised when we did this autoimmune protocol recipe here in the POTG Test Kitchen. It was tasty and bursting with flavor enhanced by the fresh herbs and chicken stock. I think it would be great to be served as a palate cleanser in between courses for a multi course meal.
AIP BRAISED FENNEL
- Two 12 oz fennel bulbs (2 large), stalks and fronds removed
- sea salt to taste
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 tsp fresh chopped thyme leaves
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Leaving the core intact (which helps keep your slices intact), stand the bulb and cut the fennel in half vertically from top to bottom, then again so that you have 4 slices from each bulb.
- Preheat oven to 350 and lay the fennel out in an even layer in a roasting pan.
- Pour in the chicken stock.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and thyme.
- Cover pan with foil and bake for 30 minutes until tender.
- Remove and drizzle with lemon juice before serving.